Sacred Grove

mormon

Monday, February 16, 2009

Jesus Christ, the Savior of the World

Elder Boyd K. Packer said, "The Atonement of Jesus Christ is the very root of Christian doctrine. You may know much about the gospel as it branches out from there, but if you only know the branches and those branches do not touch the root, if they have been cut free from the truth, there will be no life, not substance, nor redemption in them. "

I love this quote. It goes back to the whole reason that we have the gospel. I was going back to the Sunday School lesson quite a few weeks ago. I am in Gospel Essentials for my calling, so I am wanting to personally study the D & C, at least once a week. This lesson mostly covers sections 18, 19, and 76. I love the testimonies of the Savior. I also love how it points out his roles and attributes.

I marvel at how much He has to offer us when we do what He asks. In D & C 6: 20-21, he says that if we are faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments, He will encircle us about in the arms of His love. What a beautiful promise. I have felt His arms around me as I have tried to do His will. I think of our move here and all the trials that were placed before us. I never felt alone. When I would get concerned, He would give me little answers. I still remember the early morning when He whispered the time line to me. I held on to that, and then when it worked out exactly as He has told me, I knew that He had done that for my peace of mind. It drove Drew nuts occasionally as he was getting discouraged at finding a new job and I said quietly, the job will come in March. It wasn't me, it was the Lord giving me the strength to hold out.

I keep going back to the Sacrament prayers. When we lose the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, if we will remember Him, then we can get the Spirit back. It really isn't that hard to remember Him.

In D & C 76:5, He says that He is merciful and He delights to honor those who serve Him in righteousness and truth. I look at where we are now, and all my dreams have come true. I have more than I could ever imagined and it is through the many blessings that He has given our family.

One more thing I really learned from our move here, while I am on that subject, is that the Atonement is more than for repentance. I have a testimony of the great blessing it is for us to be able to repent and be cleaned through the Atonement. It is amazing to me. I also learned that I can't do all that I am asked without His help. I am more when I submit my will to His and I strive to do His will. I have been taught it throughout my life, but I understand it so much more now. I am so thankful for this testimony and for His love and understanding and His arms that do encircle me when I strive to do His will.

No comments: