Sacred Grove

mormon

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

So, I was trying to ponder how to help a child who has such strong determination to do their own will, that sometimes, I worry about the future. All my children are great. The more I studied, the more I am reminded that they all have good and soft hearts. My good friend was said it is better to channel energy than to have to initiate it. So as much as this strong will wears me out, it is better than having a child who doesn't care, and has little passion.

I studied the story of Jonah, which again just reminded me how mindful the Lord is of each of us individually and also that my children are His children, and if I just take my worries and concerns to Him, He will help me because they are His children and He wants what is best for them even more than I do.

I also read 2 Nephi Chapter 1 and remarked on how Lehi just continued to teach truth when Lamen and Lemuel were rebellious. Not that my child is bad or rebellious, I am just trying to stay on top of the determination to channel it correctly. It is a great reminder to me of the importance that I have in continnuing to teach the gospel and to bring the love of our Father in Heaven in all that I do and say. For I truly must, "talk of Christ, rejoice in Christ, preach of Christ, prophesy of Christ, and write according to our prophesies that our chilren may know to waht source they may look for a remission of their sins." 2 Nephi 25:26. I remember as a young mom how determined I was to always focus on the gospel and the blessings. I still talk about the many blessings the gospel brings to my life and the positive influences that I am blessed with. I do think that I can be better at discussing concerns and frustrations in a gospel sense.

I love this first chapter in 2 Nephi! I feel like it is full of so much. There is verse 15 which says, "I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love." We can be encircled about in his love. President Hinckley gave a talk in the Women's Meeting of General Conference and related this story, which gives such good insight into how mother's often feel.

"Some years ago in the Salt Lake Tabernacle, Elder Marion D. Hanks conducted a panel discussion. Included in that panel was an attractive and able young woman, divorced, the mother of seven children then ranging in ages from 7 to 16. She said that one evening she went across the street to deliver something to a neighbor. Listen to her words, as I recall them:

“As I turned around to walk back home, I could see my house lighted up. I could hear echoes of my children as I had walked out of the door a few minutes earlier. They were saying: ‘Mom, what are we going to have for dinner?’ ‘Can you take me to the library?’ ‘I have to get some poster paper tonight.’ Tired and weary, I looked at that house and saw the light on in each of the rooms. I thought of all of those children who were home waiting for me to come and meet their needs. My burdens felt heavier than I could bear.

“I remember looking through tears toward the sky, and I said, ‘Dear Father, I just can’t do it tonight. I’m too tired. I can’t face it. I can’t go home and take care of all those children alone. Could I just come to You and stay with You for just one night? I’ll come back in the morning.’

“I didn’t really hear the words of reply, but I heard them in my mind. The answer was: ‘No, little one, you can’t come to me now. You would never wish to come back. But I can come to you.’”

There are so very many like this young mother, who found herself in loneliness and desperation but was fortunate enough to have faith in the Lord, who could love her and help her."

He closes his talk with this statement,

"This is what the Relief Society does for women. It gives them opportunity for growth and development. It gives them status as queens in their own households. It gives them place and position, where they grow as they exercise their talents. It gives them pride and direction in family life. It gives them added appreciation for good, eternal companions and children."

What a blessing!

I love verse 6 in 2 Nephi as well. We talked about it in Gospel Essentials on Sunday, and I have thought about it much since. It reads, "there shall non come into this land save they shall be brought by the hand of the Lord." This made me think of hte scripture that says to whom much is given, much is required.

I am thankful for the gospel and for the Love of the Lord. I am so grateful he touches my heart and teaches me and loves me.

No comments: