Sacred Grove

mormon

Monday, March 23, 2009

Brought by the hand of the Lord

I have been reading the 5000 year leap, which is an amazing book. I feel like I am learning so much. This country took about 1 70 years for the constitution to be written. I didn't realize it took that long. One of the hold ups was that the founders were concerned that this country wouldn't be moral and virtuous enough. The more selfish a country is, the more need there is for a larger government. For an independent nation to be formed and then to thrive, the citizens and the leaders must be full of virtue and have high standards. Being willing to sacrifice for the freedoms of this great country. There are so many scriptures that I have been reading about the land that we live in.

In 2 Nephi 1:5-6 it says, "we have obtained a land of promise, a land which is choice above all other lands; a land which the Lord god hath covenanted with me should be an inheritance for my seed. Yea, the Lord hath covenanted this land unto me, and to my children forever and also all those who should be led out of other countries by the hand of the Lord. Wherefore, I, Lehi, prophesy to the workings of the Spirit which is in me, that there shall none come into this land save they shall be brought by the hand of the Lord. "

1 Nephi 17: 37-38, "And he raiseth up a righteous nation, and destroyeth the nations of the wicked. And he leadeth away the righteous into precious lands, and the wicked he destroyeth, and curseth the land unto them for their sakes. "

3 Nephi 15: 13-19, I will just quote a few lines; " "And behold this is the land of your inheritance." "And not at any time hath the Father given me commandment that I should tell it unto your brethren at Jerusalem." "because of ... unbelief... they understood not my word,... I was commanded to say no more..." "the Father hath commanded me, and I tell it unto you, that ye were separated from among them because of their iniquity; therefore it is because of their iniquity that they know not of you."

It is written so many times in the scriptures of how much the Lord loves this land and preserved it for His people so that they could establish a land of peace. This land was prepared for the restoration of the church. Our founding fathers were led by the Lord to establish this land with a great constitution. We have grown up in a world that is blessed by the US.

The premises of the book, the 5000 year leap is that for about 5000 years, the world was at about the same state when it came to inventions and living their lives. There were inventions, but then all of a sudden, America was formed and inventions skyrocketed. If you look at the inventions that have blessed the earth within the last few hundred years, it is an amazing leap. All of this was able to take place because of the way that this country was set up. People want to invent and prosper and learn when they know that they will be blessed by their own good.

I am so grateful that I live in a country that has so many freedoms. I am grateful that I live in a country where I can worship the way that I want to. I feel more and more blessed after studying the scriptures for the privilege to live in this country. I also remind myself that where much is given, much is required.

No comments: