Sacred Grove

mormon

Monday, March 9, 2009

Principle

Principle
You hear that word thrown around a lot lately. What does it mean? Richard G. Scott said: "Principles are concentrated truth, packaged for application to a wide variety of circumstances. A true principle makes decisions clear even under the most confusing and compelling circumstances. It is worth great effort to organize the truth we gather to simple statements of principle." ("Aquiring Spiritual Knowledge," Ensign, November 1993, pg. 86.)
Simply put: A principle is a truth by which we can govern our behavior.
As I studied Alma 61, Pahoran's response to being censured by Moroni. Remember, Moroni did not hide his feelings about not recieving food and reinforcements and even accused Pahoran of sitting on his throne in a state of thoughtless stupor. Personally, whenever anyone in my family thinks I am sitting home watching tv and eating ice cream, living the easy life, I get defensive, even a little angry. How could they say that? Do they have any idea the countless acts of service I do for them each day? However, that is not Pahoran's response. He is governed by a completely different principle. He says, "I am not angry and do rejoice in the greatness of your heart." What a great lesson for me. (1)Choose not to be angry, no matter the circumstance. (2) Look upon others hearts

1 comment:

Tami said...

Wow Sara, so much in two paragraphs! Thanks for that! I love true principles. I taught Gospel Essentials last week and we talked about the first 4 principles in the church, which was were my mind went at first. I like how you extended it. I love the application from Pahoran. It reminds me of the lesson we had on Sunday about Peace and Harmony.