Sacred Grove

mormon

Friday, January 9, 2009

And My Father Dwelt in a Tent

So, I am reading a new book and it is amazing. It is called, "The Holy Secret," by the same author that wrote "The Peacegiver," James L. Ferrell. When Mark first went to Seminary, I remember him coming home and telling me he found his favorite scripture. I was all excited to hear what it was. He woke me up and I was happy to sit up and hear it. Then he said, "And my father dwelt in a tent." He smiled and left my room. As I read this book today, I smiled and can only think of my sweet little brother in high school way back when. The author asks why the word dwelt was used? Why not slept, rested in...? Why include this verse at all? What did it mean to Lehi to dwell in a tent? Go back to 1st Nephi 1:1. We all know this verse, "I, Nephi having been born of goodly parents..." What does goodly mean? I thought it meant righteous. When you look it up in the dictionary, you get a goodly amount, a respectable sum. Could it really mean wealthy? Why would Nephi start the scriptures saying that his father was wealthy? Later he talks about his fathers riches. He states them specifically. His home, his gold, his jewels, there are lots of ands. He lists them. Why? Could it be that he wanted us to realize that they gave up everything to follow the Lord. Everything but their family. He was in this tent for a long time after working his life for a home and wealth. He was happy to give it all up. What are we willing to give up for the gospel? This book sets a pattern to look at as you study the scriptures; what are you reading, what are the specific words, why are these words chosen and used, why are some things left out?, what patterns in the scriptures do you see from this, what types of Christ are in this verse, and finally how does is apply to me. What, Why, Patterns, Types of Christ, and Apply. There is more to the book, but I will leave it for you to read. I am so thankful for the scriptures and the insights I can have in my life. I am grateful for the gospel and all I learn. I will never read, "And my father dwelt in a tent" the same way again.

No comments: