Sacred Grove

mormon

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Alma 5:1-15

I am studying Alma 5 and looking at what the YW new value virtue suggests, and that is to study this chapter and ask yourself the questions that Alma asks.

He starts out in verse 6 saying, " have you sufficiently retained in aremembrance the captivity of your fathers? Yea, and have you sufficiently retained in remembrance his mercy and long-suffering towards them? And moreover, have ye sufficiently retained in remembrance that he has bdelivered their souls from hell?"

To me this means do I appreciate and value enough what others have done so that I can and do have the blessings in my life that I so enjoy. Do I really value and appreciate the sacrifice of the saints so that I can have the gospel in my life. Do I really value and appreciate the sacrifice of my parents to teach me, to put me in many extra curricular activities, to send me to college and to pay for me to go to college, and the value that they put on education so that I would study hard and have a desire, which they planted within me, to go to college and get my degree? And then do I remember all that the Lord has done for so many. The scriptures are there to teach me what He has done. Do I study them enough, do I value them enough?

Verses 14 and 15 are so insightful, " have ye aspiritually been bborn of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty cchange in your hearts?
15 Do ye exercise faith in the redemption of him who acreated you? Do you look forward with an eye of faith, and view this mortal body raised in immortality, and this corruption braised in incorruption, to stand before God to be cjudged according to the deeds which have been done in the mortal body?"

I love the question of do you exercise faith in the redemption of the Savior. I think about that a lot. I think faith is more than believing and having a testimony. Faith is also a belief that the Lord will help you daily. My good friend pointed out to me today that we are helped when we are trying to do good things. I think it is so true. He knows what we need and oft times helps us without our asking.

I want to read more in Alma 5. I will have to do so another day.

No comments: